Nothing like a toddy for the body on a cold winter’s day.
- 1/2 lemon (juice and peel squeezed into a cup/mug)
- 1-2oz. delicious whiskey/bourbon
- 2/3 c hot water
Stir together with Skinny Jake’s Fat Honey to taste and drink warm. Yum.
One of the first things I do every morning is turn on the tea kettle, brew some green tea and add a dollop of aromatic honey to my mug. Green tea and honey are some of nature’s simplest, healthiest and most delicious offerings.
Honey is a delicious addition to any warm beverage used for soothing sore throats, easing coughs or keeping your immune system robust during the cold season.
Kerstin’s Fancy Almond Cake
- 1c almonds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c Skinny Jake’s Fat Honey
- 3 fresh eggs
- 1/3 cup APF (or gluten free baking mix)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 5 Tbsp butter
Preheat oven to 350. in a food processor, Process almonds + salt to a fine crumb, then add honey, almond extract, eggs, oil and butter. Process until well mixed. Add flour + baking powder and pulse just until blended.
Butter pan well using about a Tbsp of butter, then throw in 6 Tbsp sliced almonds and dust with 1 Tbsp sugar (optional, for sugary crust). scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. don’t overbake!!!
Spring and summer seem far away, but it’s already time to start preparing for hives in your backyards. Winter is a great time for reading and learning about bees, thinking about where in your yard the bees will do best, and preparing your application materials for a hive permit.
Here is a quick winter checklist, including some reading material:
- New hive hosts should call Minneapolis 3-1-1 to request an application packet from Animal Control.
- The application will give specific information about where a hive can be placed in your yard. You can call or e-mail me to assess what location in your yard will be best.
- If you are interested in learning more about honeybee behavior, beekeeping techniques or just want to see some cool pictures, I recommend reading Honeybee Democracy, The Hive & The Honeybee, and The ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping. Some of these books were published more than 100 years ago, which shows how incredibly consistent honeybees are in their behavior!
- Start thinking about all that delicious honey that will be made from the flowers in your backyard and neighborhood. Yum.